Today, the second Friday of October, has been proclaimed World Egg Day by the International Egg Commission (IEC) , to raise awareness of the nutritional value of eggs, and has been celebrated annually since 1996.
As an affordable source of high quality protein, eggs do indeed play a vital role in feeding people around the world, both in developed and developing countries. According to the IEC, eggs contain just the right mix of amino acids required to build human tissue, and is second only to mother’s milk as a protein source for human nutrition. Egg yolks are also an abundant source of Vitamin D.
OK, so here’s an interesting egg story. According to a recent report on research performed by Mindlab International, a person’s preferred way of eating eggs may have a lot to say about their personalities, jobs and even sex drive. Applying data mining techniques to a sample of just over a thousand British adults, they searched for statistically meaningful relationships between people’s characters, lifestyles, social class etc, and whether they preferred their eggs boiled, poached, fried, scrambled or as an omelette.
Here are a few highlights from the Mindlab findings:
- Poached egg eaters are mostly women, and tend to be outgoing, energetic extroverts. They prefer brighter clothing, livelier music and tend to be happy.
- Boiled egg fans are also mostly female, and they tend towards the upper working class. They are likely to be disorganised, careless and impulsive, and run a higher than average risk of getting divorced.
- Fried egg eaters tend to be younger males, and from the skilled working class. They are more open to new experiences, creative, curious and imaginative. They apparently also tend to have a higher sex drive.
- Scrambled eggs is the preferred choice among those in their twenties and thirties, who tend to be in managerial or senior level jobs. They were also found to be less neurotic, but at the same time more guarded and less open.
- Finally, the omelette is a middle class favourite, and omelette lovers tend to be reliable, organised and disciplined. They also tend to have tidy homes, live longer, and are less likely to get divorced.
So there you have it…
If the above ‘research’ does not sound enough like pseudoscience yet, the Mindlab findings go further and relates egg-eating habits to star signs. Apparently Aquarius, Leo and Taurus prefers their eggs poached, Cancer, Capricorn and Libra are fans of fried eggs, and Aries, Gemini, Pisces, Sagittarius, Scorpio and Virgo opt for scrambled eggs.
Still reading? Well, even your position in the family pecking order may influence on your egg preference – first borns are said to prefer scrambled eggs, while those who were born third or later would rather eat their eggs fried. Second borns apparently have no marked preference.
What exactly the value of these results are, is beyond me. But then again it did give me something to write a blog post about, so I guess I shouldn’t complain. 🙂
Happy World Egg Day, everyone!